• To promote trading activities within and outside the country.
• To improve the supply of goods throughout the country.
• To regulate and monitor trade in the country.
• Alleviate poverty through trade;
• Enhance contributions from trade to the national economy;
• Create a liberal and enabling environment for the growth of private sector;
• Pursue trade liberalization and support private sector development;
• Enhance employment and revenue generation;
• Ensure stable market access for Bhutanese products;
• Promote competition and fair trade practices;
• Promote efficient distribution of goods and services;
• Strengthen institutional and professional capacity of the sectors to fulfill its mandate; and
• Enhance growth of exports, particularly convertible currency exports.
• Establish an enabling legal framework through formulation and amendment of laws, simplification of administrative and licensing procedures and greater service orientation in the sector;
• Strengthen long-term trade relations with principal trading partners and negotiate preferential trade treaties with new and potential trading partners;
• Pursue trade liberalization through regional and multi-lateral frameworks;
• Encourage trade in services including knowledge based and cultural industries;
• Diversify export products and export markets through market studies and appropriate branding initiatives;
• Develop industrial parks, dry ports, trade centers and business incubators to promote manufacture value added export base;
• Collaborate with financial institutions to make export finance available;
• Develop trade infrastructure and networking opportunities through access to e-commerce and web based information exchange facilities;
• Facilitate the flow of trade through a trade facilitation mechanism;
• Enhance skills and knowledge of the private sector in international trade through training courses, seminars and workshops;
• Promote liberalization of the import regime; and
• Ensure competitive market conditions through streamlining of the distribution sector.